[Zope] Urgent - server down.

chas panda@skinnyhippo.com
Tue, 07 Dec 1999 02:21:36 +0800

>> It's been running fine for the past 2 months.
>> Then today we've been getting these error messages
>> almost non-stop :
>>
>> "Temporarily Unavailable
>> The resource you requested is temporarily unavailable - please try again
>> later.
>> (116) unable to connect, fd=3 "
>>

>I got exactly the same error (except fd=4 :-)  w/o apparent reasons.
>What I was doing was repeated starts/stops of the server (I had no idea
>of using ZMonitor :) so I was using syslog() to have intermediate debug
>points)

I hadn't actually restarted the server in weeks.

>Only restarting Linux solved the problem.

Thanks Teodor... I've found that the only way to solve this was also
to restart my server - FreeBSD 3.2  - but this calls to mind the previous
discussions we had on the list concerning Cold Fusion (and staff whose
job it was to restart the servers when they hung).

I would try upgrading to the latest version of Zope (ie. replace 2.01
with 2.1) and even replace PCGI with FastCGI but the www.zope.org site
is absolutely crawling at the moment (didn't DC upgrade the server
and split the mailserver off onto another machine last month ?) so
I can't even download the src (in fact, I'm getting a lot of "document
contains no data" errors).

Thanks for your help - I'll check ZMonitor too ....

chas