[Zope] zope class structure

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Mon, 6 Dec 1999 17:40:16 -0500

BTW, please don't send HTML formatted mail to the list, it prevents my
mailer from being able to quote your message (which I then have to do by
hand), and it messes up other mailers in various bad ways.

-----Original Message-----
From: Lauri Posti [mailto:lauri@mutabor.ee]
Sent: Saturday, December 04, 1999 2:27 PM
To: zope@zope.org
Subject: [Zope] zope class structure

> Hi!

> Has anyone tried to generate Zope class structure documentation with
pythondoc > or similar tool?

We have used Object Domain's 'reverse engineering' as a starting point
for out models, but it doesn't work all that well.

> I tried to use pythondoc 0.4 without any success.

How did it fail, Zope is written in pretty straight up python.  Note
that some of the classes that Zope classes subclass are extensionclasses
(say that 20 times..) that are written in C, your tool may not grok
them.

> It would be mutch easyer to learn Zope API programming with that kind
of docs > > comapred to reading python source.

Yep.

> Currently afaik only ZODB docs are available (as UML).

If every UML tool there is didn't suck so bad we would have alot more
UML models, our tool has a propensity for self destructing on its own
models, taking the model down with it.  For example, there used to be a
rather detailed ZCatalog model, but OD messed it up so bad that the OD
engineers couldn't even fix it.  OD has corrupted the existing PTK model
twice, wasting at least an entire week of my time.

-Michel

Lauri Posti

Mutabor DMA, Estonia