[Zope] Zope woes continue - server going down regularly.

Jim Fulton jim@digicool.com
Tue, 07 Dec 1999 13:28:39 +0000

chas wrote:

> This morning : using Zope 2.01
> ------------------------------

> >>Is it spinning? (consuming 100% CPU resources?) or hung? (consuming
> >>none..)
> >
> >Sorry, you're right, it was 'spinning' - 100% CPU resources.
> >Does that suggest anything in particular ?
>
> Ok, I feel like the Cold-Fusion-Man today, I have a window open
> on my desktop showing the 'top' output of my server. Whenever
> the CPU usage goes up to over 90%, I know that the PCGI process
> is no longer responding and I restart Zope. Restarting the
> server does not help any more than restarting Zope itself.
> Repeat ad nauseum every 30-45 minutes if I'm lucky.
>
> This afternoon : using Zope 2.10
> --------------------------------

OK, let's focus on 2.1.

> I installed and set up Zope 2.10 (using PCGI behind Apache) and
> transfered my site over it. It *seemed* to be holding up OK.
> CPU never went up to 90%. But I noticed that several times I'd
> get the fd=3 error.
>
> Then within 2 hours of use, I get this error when external
> users try to access the site :
>
>     Zope Error
>     Zope has encountered an error while publishing this resource.
>     Error Type: NameError
>     Error Value: name_param

Could you provide a traceback?

> Even from the administration interface, I can't access anything.
> Everything returns :
>
>     Zope Error
>     Zope has encountered an error while publishing this resource.
>     Error Type: NameError
>     Error Value: type

Again, a traceback would be helpful.

> And now CPU is at 0% - probably because nobody's any longer
> accessing our site :(
>
> So, again I had to restart Zope and then the site returned to
> normal.  In a few hours, I'm going to have to (a) leave the
> computer and (b) sleep... and I'll be unable to do this manual
> monitoring/restarting of the server. So, I'm quite  desperate to
> seek a solution to this soon.
>
> To this end, does anybody have any ideas :
> 1) where to get better debugging information to help identify the
>    source of the problem.

- Obviously something changed.  You were running fine for 2 months,
  than started having problems.  You can work forward by analysing
  changes, or you could work backward by debugging.

- Tracebacks are helpful. If you aren't in debug mode, then
  you'll need to view the document source to see them,

- The Zope event log can be very helpful. See doc/LOGGING.txt,

- Look at the "debug" screen at Control_Panel/manage_debug.
  This can be used to spot memory leaks and stuck database connections.

- If the above doesn't show anything, then a more detailed log may be created:

  Add this stanza to your z2.py start script.

  # turn on debug logging
  from ZServer import DebugLogger
  logfile=os.path.join(INSTANCE_HOME,'var/debug.log')
  DebugLogger.log=DebugLogger.DebugLogger(logfile).log

  It should be insertted after Zope is imported, e.g. after this line:

  exec "import "+MODULE in {}

  You'll want to watch the debug log file since it gets large quickly.
  You might also want to read the docstrings in ZServer/DebugLogger.py
  for more information about the debug log format.

  In particular, we want to look for requests that don't complete
  or for apparent leaking requests.

> 2) better yet, any idea what the problem(s) could be ?

Not off hand.

Jim

Technical Director   (888) 344-4332              Python Powered!

repeats.