[Zope] How to upgrade from 2.0 to 2.1 Zope

Stuart 'Zen' Bishop zen@cs.rmit.edu.au
Wed, 8 Dec 1999 17:57:40 +1100 (EST)

On 3 Dec 1999, Thilo Mezger wrote:

> > It's simple... copy over your Data.fs file, as well as any products that
> > you've installed.  That's all there is too it.
>
> is this really how you are doing it at DC HQ?!  i was already thinking about
> a clean update solution with Data.fs and all products being somewhere else
> separated from the source code so that you can just install a new
> version without having to move around your old Data.fs and your products.
>
> has anybody else thought about separating code and data?

Yes. I thought about it upgrading from 2.0 to 2.01, from 2.01 to 2.1b1,
from 2.1b1 to 2.1b2, from 2.1b2 to 2.1b3 and just now to 2.1.

IMHO there should definitly be a seperation of the Zope distribution
and site specific stuff (including /var). Especially useful for people
who need to upgrade a number of Zope servers simultaneously.

Of course, this requires weeding out all the places where people have been
encouranged to leave their own little messes:
    Products
    lib/python/Products
    External
    import

Any others? These are just the ones I know of...

--
 ___
   //     Zen (alias Stuart Bishop)     Work: zen@cs.rmit.edu.au