[Zope] Zope stability

Teodor Cimpoesu teo@digiro.net
Wed, 08 Dec 1999 18:26:15 +0200

Hi all,

Michel Pelletier wrote:
> > Thomas Duterme wrote:
> > >

> > Good point.
> > Anyways, what I am frustrated of is a good debugger for Zope.
> The Zope debugger (based on the python debugger) works quite well I
> think.  There is a howto on it somewhere...
May I ask where?
What I found on a search is
quick intro (looks ~ still a draft)
http://www.zope.org/Members/klm/debuggingzope

> > I've just
> > downloaded
> > DDD & pydb to give them a try
> DDD and idle could be cool options, but someone needs to take the time
> to integrate them with Zope, I've never gotten either to work well
> debugging Zope.
is idle IDLE? [sic] There are only CVS snapshots [iirc] for this beast
and I'll have to build it from source to give it a try :\

But anyways, you guys @ DC what debugging tool are using when hacking
into Zope?

> > but I am interested in using
> > ZMonitor (not
> > much docs about it
> > or did I miss something?)
> It is useful for debugging, but not stepping into or over code, or
> setting breakpoints, or all that jazz.  if you said:
>
> import pdb
> pdb.set_trace()
>
> in the monitor, then the Zope process would jump into the debugger *but
> on the controlling terminal* not the monitor client (your monitor
> sessions would be locked out) If Zope has detached from its terminal,
> then it would just hang waiting on input it will never get.

oh well, anyway is a good start for me :^) [ py & Z newbie ]

> > btw, How exactly is MrCreosete (spl?) working and how can it be used?

> Mr. Creosote allows you to use python code to 'spew' messages to a
> simple UDP server running somewhere.  This way in your code you can dump
> data for logging and debugging:

I sow that from it's source but I was not sure how to use it for my
programs

>   if foobar:
>     spew('Everything is foobar!')
>
> This shows up on the other end of Mr. Creosote.
So I wasn't too dumb after all to use syslog.syslog() to debug code :-)
[ in fact that brought the weird error message (fd=4 ...) ]

> > Also I have a feeling DC is not soo happy to keep an online hot update
> > of bugs and
> > instability issues when these might compromise it to commercial
> > parteners.
[ I forgot to say it was a pure ramble - I wasn't too concerned about it
and lazy enough not to search for :) ]

> Hmm.. I don't know of any bug that would compromise a customer, we can
> allways state them in anonymous terms.  But when we find bugs that hurt
> our customers, we fix them right away, so there is not much point in a
> public display of them because they are allready fixed, there is not
> much value earned in this.  Further, you can track the CVS login
> messages mailing list of you want the blow by blow description of every
> bug fix checked in (http://www.zope.org/mailman/listinfo/zope-checkins)

k, I made a subscription to it , just to keep myself informed :-)

> > So they would
> > first like to have an inner look @ problems then announce the Zope
> > comunity.
> > But from our point of view, we want to know everything :-)
> It's all out there man.
'f course , including the truth :-)

--
CIMPOESU Teodor, Web Programmer