[Zope] Philosophical question - Zope Objects vs Entities in a RDBMS

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Wed, 8 Dec 1999 15:18:20 -0500

Yes.

> Q2. How much more or less efficient is Zope for storing a
> piece of data
> over a traditional relational database ?

That's a pretty loaded question, they all behave differently.  ZODB is
comparable in 'efficiency'.

> Q3 (I'm a newbie here) Can a python external method access
> Zope objects
> ?  Eg if I create a task object from a ZClass can I then do
> things with
> it from a python script?

Yes.

> Q4. I think I remember seeing a post about the Zope database being a
> single large file posing problems with the Linux filesystem.. or was
> that the windows filesystem.. if so then that could limit Zope's
> potential in a commercial production enviroment, surely ?? If this is
> true what have people done to try and get around this, ie archiving
> objects (however that could occur) etc.. ?

Zope stores its objects in one file.  Linux  on 32 bit systems has a 2GB
file size limiation.

-Michel