[Zope] Validating data entry (dates)

Stuart 'Zen' Bishop zen@cs.rmit.edu.au
Thu, 9 Dec 1999 12:17:04 +1100 (EST)

On Thu, 9 Dec 1999, Henny van der Linde wrote:

> I have a date field. I want to check, before submitting the form, if the
> date entered is valid.
> Is there someting like a function as: Date.IsValid (I haven a Delphi
> background). What I don't want is a Zope generated standard error screen. I
> want a custom designed error message/page.

There are two options really:
    1) Write nifty JavaScript to validate at the client before submitting
       to the server. This code doesn't exist in a general Zope form,
       but lots of us would like it :-)

    2) Use <dtml-try> <dtml-except> clauses in the DTML method that
       accepts your form input, so if an exception is thrown converting
       a submitted string to a date, for instance, you can display a nice
       error message.

--
 ___
   //     Zen (alias Stuart Bishop)     Work: zen@cs.rmit.edu.au