[Zope] RE: technical support dept. product

Clarence T. Pate ctpate@uronramp.net
Wed, 08 Dec 1999 21:45:04 -0600

I am also interested in a problem tracking solution.

I was thinking about using the ZRTChat product as a starting point to
create something  because I like the way the frames are seperated.  I
have some preliminary thoughts, but I do not know if they are valid or
practical.

1. The upper and lower frames could be used for placing icons/links to
functions such as open ticket, close ticket, search for information in
all tickets and etc.
2. The middle frame would be used for displaying open tickets, closed
tickets, individual tickets, returned items from a search and etc.
3. Each ZRTChat message would be like an entry in the log for tracking a
problem.
4. There would have to be a method for generating new problem
tickets/(ZRTChat objects)
5. more to be added if this is valid way to start.

I have some questions about the above ideas.

1. Is this a valid way to start, or should something be created from
scratch?
2. Is there a good reason not to use the zodb database to store all of
the info from the problem tickets? (IOW: Should the data be stored in
Postgres or MySql?)
3. How do you go about superclassing the ZRTChat to create new problem
tickets?
4. How do you go about making the data items searchable? (ZCatalog or
other?)

clarence T. Pate