[Zope] Philosophical question - Zope Objects vs Entities in a RDBMS

Thilo Mezger Thilo Mezger <mezger@innominate.de>
9 Dec 1999 07:17:18 GMT

Michel Pelletier <michel@digicool.com> wrote:

>> Q4. I think I remember seeing a post about the Zope database being a
>> single large file posing problems with the Linux filesystem.. or was
>> that the windows filesystem.. if so then that could limit Zope's
>> potential in a commercial production enviroment, surely ?? If this is
>> true what have people done to try and get around this, ie archiving
>> objects (however that could occur) etc.. ?

> Zope stores its objects in one file.  Linux  on 32 bit systems has a 2GB
> file size limiation.

AFAIK, linux on 64bit systems are also limited to 2GB.

but you can always switch to e.g. free-bsd if you need bigger files.
free-bsd is as free as linux, runs python and zope, and supports files
up to a size of, er, some tera-bytes...

thilo

--
mezger@innominate.de