[Zope] Form action -> zsql method linkage ? - was Re: [Zope] how to get details of sql.error ? of sql.error ?

Nitin Borwankar nitin@borwankar.com
Thu, 09 Dec 1999 12:58:27 -0800

Christopher Petrilli wrote:

> On 12/9/99 3:15 PM, Nitin Borwankar at nitin@borwankar.com wrote:
>

> > I am getting a vanilla sql.error message from Zope when testing a ZSQL
> > method
> > The ZSQL method is a single insert statement without any dtml-try/except
> > wrapper.
> > How do I get Zope to be a little more verbose about waht the problem is
>
> What DA are you using, this is up to the DA to throw genearlly.
>
> Chris
> --
> | Christopher Petrilli        Python Powered        Digital Creations, Inc.
> | petrilli@digicool.com                             http://www.digicool.com

I am using The ODBC DA with SQL Server 7.0.
I appear to have solved the original problem so the lack of detail in
sql.error is no longer an immediate obstacle. But I have hit the next
one
and it's very fundamental.  How to link a data input form to a ZSQL
method.

I have a survey form that takes data
and needs to insert into a database table with columns in 1-1 corr to
the form field names.

I have a ZSQL method (insert_survey_rec) that does "insert into survey1
( <dtml-sqlvar e-mail type=string>,...)"
The ZSQL method works as tested through it's Zope generated test form.

Now I need to accept form input from my survey form ( survey_form ) and
give
a success/failure messge.

When I use the action=insert_survey_rec in the form tag in survey_form,
on submit I see
a) no data inserted
b) Zope returns to me the Zope generated test form for the ZSQL method.

Clearly I need something in between the form and the ZSQL method that I
am missing.
What exactly is it ?

Thanks for any help.

Nitin