[Zope] reality check

Hannu Krosing hannu@tm.ee
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 11:58:19 +0200

Robin Becker wrote:

> In article <0ad401bf42c0$43bcbd60$eb0217ac@dev.prognet.com>, Jonothan
> Farr <jfarr@speakeasy.org> writes
> >I thought this forward would be of interest to the DC folks and the community
> >at large.
> >
> >-jfarr
> >

> >> Zope has some of the worst documentation I have ever encountered.  I

> I'm a real enthusiast of Zope and have a live site waiting to be
> validated by the funding body that uses python via external methods etc.
>
> I too find the Zope documentation absolutely opaque. Why can't we have
> all the little _p _v _aq tricks documented? I know there are
> documentation lumps in the sources, but it's a bad idea to dish up stuff
> which modifies the relatively clean python semantics without explicit
> documentation.

Did'nt you read why DC made Zope open-source - they want to make money on
consulting ;) <grin>

But seriously, what I would (have) need(ed) in documentation is not so much
descriptions of Zope but more _examples_ of doing common things.

Zope _is_ quite different from what one expects (even the templates are
backwards), and thus has the typical ease-of-us vs. ease-of-learning
controversy of advanced tools.

btw, where did the help pages that were present in 1.10.3 disappear in 2.0 ?

> How does one display structured text?

<dtml-var the_text fmt=structured-text>

Hannu