[Zope] Zope stability

Patrick Phalen zope@teleo.net
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 08:49:46 -0800

Nice. This is an excellent candidate for a Tip or could be expanded
into a How-To ...

Would you be willing to work it up into one and submit it?

[Theodore Patrick, on Fri, 10 Dec 1999]
:: >> Version Control and Development
::
:: Option 1 - VERSION OBJECT
:: There is an object called a version that will take existing zope code and
:: copy it into a protected space for development work. You can test a version
:: seamlessly and then roll your changes forward or undo them. It is a handy
:: way to edit a ZOPE site live and not affect operation until development is
:: complete. It is a rather hidden feature and easy to miss.
::
:: Option 2 - CUT, PASTE AND RENAME
:: You could also just copy your work folder into another folder work on it and
:: them merge the code by simply changing the name of the folders. That would
:: immediately route request to the new root/folder. If you have issues you can
:: easily undo the changes in the control panel. Typically for us work is done
:: progressively on areas of the Zope site, change a form here, change a SQL
:: method there. It tends to make the process easier to just make a copy of the
:: dependent objects and modify and test the code in an temp folder.
::
:: Option 3 - Production Server - Development Server
:: This model has worked well for us. As you can run Zope on any capable
:: workstation, it makes sense to do large development work in this model an
:: move the projects into a staging area for testing and deployment.
::
:: Option 4 - Make Backup/Archive/Version of your ZOPE ODB
:: Weekly we make a copy of the ZOPE ODB for backup and archive purposes
:: besides our daily backups. If we ever need old code we have a version that
:: we can put on any development server and retrieve the contents. It is a very
:: convenient way to manage the overall development process. With every dot
:: release of your code make a copy of the ODB. They tend to compress really
:: well and as they are 1 file make things easy. Make sure to compress the ODB
:: before you make a version, It tends to improve the performance of the
:: database and make your code smaller as it eliminates all changes stored in
:: the Database.
::
::
:: Hope this helps although there are many different ways to work with Zope
:: these are the most useful for us.
::
:: Theodore E. Patrick
:: Ishophere.com
::
:: Zope maillist  -  Zope@zope.org
::           No cross posts or HTML encoding!
:: (Related lists -
::  http://lists.zope.org/mailman/listinfo/zope-announce