[Zope] reality check

Jonothan Farr jfarr@real.com
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 16:19:53 -0800

> Ouch.  That hurts.
>
> Where was this taken from?

It would be pretty difficult to explain the purpose of the mailing list I took
that message from. Suffice it to say that most of the members are computer
professionals. I disagree that the person who posted it has, "very little
computer experience." Perhaps not much experience working with relatively
immature open source software projects. I don't think they understood what an
important resource the community is for finding information.

My reason for posting this is what I said in the subject, a reality check. I
love the enthusiasm that the Zope community has in general. But I think that
the Zope community is largely made up of individuals who already really love
Zope. I wanted to present the viewpoint of someone who has no bias for or
against Python or Zope. I wanted to present an evaluation solely on the merits
of whether it could get their job done. I wanted to point out what those
people say Zope needs to have in order to win them over. If you imply that
they are not experienced enough or intelligent enough or open-minded enough to
use Zope then you are missing the point. Zope is a tool for web programmers,
not Python programmers. It has to be useful to them if it is going to be
successful.

-jfarr