[Zope] Multiple Zope servers?

Evan Simpson evan@4-am.com
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 23:34:02 -0600

Hung Jung Lu wrote:

> Wow, the ($$) part makes me think twice. I'd like to
> explore a bit more... it's a scary thought to set up
> a website only to find that it gets choked even with
> moderate hit rate.

What do you consider a moderate hit rate?  Zope.org and Technocrat.net are
both Zope-based sites which have withstood the dreaded Slashdot Effect(tm)
unbowed, and Zope.org serves up a respectable volume of dynamic web data
every day on fairly unimpressive hardware.

> PS- perhaps the thing to do is to separate web
> presentation data (like DTML, etc.) from the
> enterprise data (user info, product catalogs, etc.),
> and use ZODB only for the presentation data,
> while using an external database for the enterprise
> data. This way, I could run several copies of Zope,
> all accessing the same database server. That is,
> essentially make the ZODB read-only. And ZODB is
> changed only when changing the whole website's
> presentation. I think can live with that. :)

This is a fine model (I use it myself), although it simply pushes the
scalability problem onto your database server :-)

Cheers,

Evan @ 4-am