[Zope] Newbie in Zope instability shocker!

Alexander Limi alexander@limi.net
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 05:14:23 +0100

Sorry for the tabloid topic, I'm in a bit of a funny mood after having my last
exam today, after zoping for 5 hours, and after writing my first how-to (yay!
:)

Anyway;

Strange things are happening with our Zope install (2.1.1 on Redhat Linux). It
crashes occasionally, and I am in no way competent enought to find out why.

The scary thing is that it crashes when I do relatively ordinary things. Just
ten minutes ago it crashed while I tried to upload a 10k GIF in a folder. And
earlier on I've had it crash when I unzipped a product in the base Zope dir (as
per the instructions).

I find this very discomforting - I could have understood it if it was because
of som bad code on my part (as a DTML and Python newbie), but it always crashes
when I try to do something mundane, like the examples above.

I can't find the process when I run ps aux, so it seems to have aborted itself.

I'm also having some random ZClass trouble, but that's mostly because the OO is
different from what I'm used to from Java.

Oh well, time to go to bed. Any hints (yes, I know it's very little information
provided, but where should I start looking? No traceback to include, obviously
:)

Maybe we did something stupid when we upgraded to 2.1.1? (It crashed earlier on
too, but in different ways.) We upgraded by stopping Zope, unzipping the 2.1.1
files into the Zope dir, and starting it again. Is this the recommended
procedure?

And I want to express my gratitude towards the list - you guys rule - I would
never have proceeded without your help. I'm trying to make some newbie-notes as
I go along, so we can try to rectify the situation for other people that are in
the same situation. My first howto is submitted, and surely not my last.

Alexander Limi
http://mp3.no