[Zope] alot of general dc, zope, public relations questions

alan runyan runyaga@thisbox.com
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 01:08:09 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01BF482B.2EE02BA0

what does digicool offer for commercial products to zope?  is beehive, =
code-it, and digital garage selling or making digicool of 'third party' =
products that may be of use and bought commercially?

zeo  is the only product I can find listed on digicools site.  how about =
commercial support for zope?  by the hour? what if i just wanna buy =
chunks of functionality from you and hook it onto zope?  I see database =
adapters for 'high-end' databases such as Oracle (8i?), Sybase, and =
heard DB2 is in works... what about extra pre-built functionality that =
exploits the data in these databases? does large commercial companies =
like ishophere.com d/l community products and install them and use them =
internally?  use them in production?  what about everyone else? =20

currently I'm looking for workflows inside an application server -> =
pre-built: author->editor->publisher workflow but something like =
siteserver w/ the transaction pipeline- where i can arrange around the =
'workflow' of web content. here is what i've come up w/ in few words:  =
spectra (lots of pre-built) has lots of workflows looks like what I =
want- but it runs on coldfusion :(.  vignette has workflows + oodles of =
other functionality you didnt know you needed and where too stupid to =
ask (? impression from what little i've read).  frontier is complete =
customized user-talk scripting language- contains few work flow products =
but it was mentioned somewhere you could custom build them (i couldnt =
imagine having the option of custom building that).  then we have zope, =
suppose to have a product (?) of some kind coming out soon (but no =
specifics) and it appears from digicool web site and one time I asked =
them what they sold they mentioend 'bug collector' and zTables, any =
ideas of putting that up on your web site?  (too much to maintain)?.  =
but there is no formal writings on the web site that digicool would sell =
you anything except consulting services and training.

another huge criteria is that I'm running the catalog on siteserver =
currently.. but want to mix in zope as content management (this sounds =
like perfect application for zope).   but Zope cant be used w/ ASP (?is =
this TRUELY impossible?!. I dont know how it would happen, but i believe =
a solution must be possible) - which instantly kills it and pretty much =
every other product - I've looked at: except frontier and maybe vignette =
(i dont know tcl and alot more developers are geeked up other python =
than tcl). =20

anyway: I've shown some developers Zope and most can not get past the =
web site=20
--zope.org attention--
(zope.org - i personally like it.. although its getting old, visiting it =
everyday 8) design (mix of fonts, unsexy graphics, poor navigation -> =
please make Browse the DTML Reference online here. abit more obvious =
(documentation page) this should be accented w/ a graphic or much more =
pronounced text like the .tgz) =20
--/zope.org attention--
and the digicool.com web site only speaks of ZEO, and some open source =
pdfs, ang lots of press releases. NOTE: I'm sure you would rather spend =
time developing Zope than the website advertising zope.. but it needs to =
happen for marketing purposes.  not HUGE, simple and slick - roxen has a =
very nice web site.  Its just Zope doesnt seem like a commercial =
viability.  does anyone else get that impression? =20

anyway- where is Zope going?  can we look forward to y2k as the year for =
3rd party zope support?  w/ digicool putting their seal of approval on =
canned products?  people running Mozilla to interface into 'raw zope =
environment'?  pythonmethods are incredibly neat- now that they are  =
over @ D.C., any news on import :) btw: is there anything on other =
application servers ANYWHERE AS COOL as pythonmethods?  or even =
pluggable brains?? (this is marketing genius term, btw) or zClasses?!?!  =
how about cheap (?) or not-so-cheap prebuilt ready-to-roll products for =
zope? =20

I want to express my utter amazement and appreciation to the Digital =
Creations programming team for coming up with this gem.   once its abit =
more polished - i couldnt imagine it NOT being embraced by a majority of =
web development houses.=20

and Ive yet to see any performance numbers?  I dont know much about =
benchmarking zope- I have some webload software at work where i can get =
some performance numbers and post them back to the web site.  I know =
that statistics can be bent to speak any 'truth' but this is only way I =
know to see how well zope does do in artifically 'stressed environment' =
- I work w/ a client that get ~10-15 million requests a day, I just dont =
think zope could keep up w/ that.. I'm most likely very wrong.. but you =
wouldnt know it by looking on the web site, honestly).  I would imagine =
ishophere ran ~1 million requests/day - its not running too terribly =
many requests directly through, no? =20

please make zope sexy so my friends and the world will like it.  Amos =
definetly sex'd up Zope w/ his article at xml.com

cheers,
alan            runyaga@thisbox.com

p.s. if I'm out of line, by being so critical, shoot me.  but these =
issues were raised by many people over my reign of advocacy at work and =
these are real world gripes - I've encountered. =20
p.p.s. are you going to make all/some/most python conference zope-based =
material and lectures available over the internet? =20

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01BF482B.2EE02BA0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>what does digicool&nbsp;offer for commercial =
products to=20
zope?&nbsp; is beehive, code-it, and digital garage selling or making =
digicool=20
of 'third party' products that may be of use and bought=20
commercially?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>zeo  is the only product I can find listed on =
digicools=20
site.&nbsp; how about commercial support for zope?&nbsp; by the hour? =
what if i=20
just wanna buy chunks of functionality from you and hook it onto =
zope?&nbsp; I=20
see database adapters for 'high-end' databases such as Oracle (8i?), =
Sybase, and=20
heard&nbsp;DB2 is in works... what about extra pre-built functionality =
that=20
exploits the data in these databases?&nbsp;does large commercial =
companies like=20
ishophere.com d/l community products and install them and use them=20
internally?&nbsp;&nbsp;use them in production?&nbsp; what about everyone =

else?&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>currently I'm looking for workflows inside an =
application=20
server -&gt; pre-built: author-&gt;editor-&gt;publisher workflow but =
something=20
like siteserver w/ the transaction pipeline- where i can arrange around =
the=20
'workflow' of web content. here is what i've come up w/ in few=20
words:</FONT><FONT size=3D2>&nbsp; spectra (lots of pre-built) has lots =
of=20
workflows looks like what I want- but it runs on coldfusion :(.&nbsp; =
vignette=20
has workflows + oodles of other functionality you didnt know you needed =
and=20
where too stupid to ask (? impression from what little i've read).&nbsp; =

frontier is complete customized user-talk scripting language- contains =
few work=20
flow products but it was mentioned somewhere you could custom build them =
(i=20
couldnt imagine having the option of custom building that).&nbsp; then =
we have=20
zope, suppose to have a product (?) of some kind coming out soon (but no =

specifics) and it appears from digicool web site and one time I asked =
them what=20
they sold they mentioend 'bug collector' and zTables, any ideas of =
putting that=20
up on your web site?&nbsp; (too much to maintain)?.&nbsp; but there is =
no formal=20
writings on the web site that digicool would sell you anything except =
consulting=20
services and training.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>another huge criteria is that I'm running the =
catalog on=20
siteserver currently.. but want to mix in zope as content management =
(this=20
sounds like perfect application for zope).&nbsp;&nbsp; but Zope cant be =
used w/=20
ASP (?is this TRUELY impossible?!. I dont know how it would happen, but =
i=20
believe a solution must be possible) - which instantly kills it and =
pretty much=20
every other product - I've looked at: except frontier and maybe vignette =
(i dont=20
know tcl and alot more developers are geeked up other python than =
tcl).&nbsp;=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>anyway: I've shown some developers Zope and most can =
not get=20
past the web site </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>--zope.org attention--</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>(zope.org - i personally like it.. although its =
getting old,=20
visiting it everyday 8) design (mix of fonts, unsexy graphics, poor =
navigation=20
-&gt; please make Browse the DTML Reference online <A=20
href=3D"http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Guides/DTML-HTML/DTML.html">her=
e</A>.=20
abit more obvious (documentation page)&nbsp;this&nbsp;should be accented =

w/&nbsp;a graphic&nbsp;or&nbsp;much more pronounced&nbsp;text like the=20
.tgz)&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>--/zope.org attention--</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>and the digicool.com web site only speaks of ZEO, =
and some=20
open source pdfs, ang lots of press releases.&nbsp;NOTE: I'm sure you =
would=20
rather spend time developing Zope than the website advertising zope.. =
but it=20
needs to happen for marketing purposes.&nbsp; not HUGE, simple and slick =
- roxen=20
has a very nice web site.&nbsp; Its just Zope doesnt seem like a =
commercial=20
viability.&nbsp; does anyone else get that impression?&nbsp; =
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>anyway- where is Zope going?&nbsp; can we look =
forward to y2k=20
as the year for 3rd party zope support?&nbsp; w/ digicool putting their =
seal of=20
approval on canned products?&nbsp; people&nbsp;running Mozilla to=20
interface&nbsp;into 'raw zope environment'?&nbsp; pythonmethods&nbsp;are =

incredibly neat-&nbsp;now that they are&nbsp; over @ D.C., any news on =
import :)=20
btw: is there anything on&nbsp;other application servers =
ANYWHERE&nbsp;AS COOL=20
as pythonmethods?&nbsp; or even pluggable brains?? (this is marketing =
genius=20
term, btw) or zClasses?!?!&nbsp; how about cheap (?) or not-so-cheap =
prebuilt=20
ready-to-roll products for zope?&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I want to express my utter amazement and =
appreciation to the=20
Digital Creations programming team for coming up with this=20
gem.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;once its abit more polished - i couldnt imagine it =
NOT=20
being embraced by a majority of web development houses. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>and Ive yet to see any performance numbers?&nbsp; I =
dont know=20
much about benchmarking zope- I have some webload software at work where =
i can=20
get some performance numbers and post them back to the web =
site.&nbsp;&nbsp;I=20
know that statistics can be bent to speak any 'truth' but this is only =
way I=20
know to see how well zope does do in artifically 'stressed environment' =
- I work=20
w/ a client that get ~10-15 million requests a day, I just dont think =
zope could=20
keep up w/ that.. I'm most likely very wrong.. but you wouldnt know it =
by=20
looking on the web site, honestly).&nbsp; I would imagine ishophere ran =
~1=20
million requests/day - its not running too terribly many requests =
directly=20
through, no?&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>please make zope sexy so my friends and the world =
will like=20
it.&nbsp; Amos definetly sex'd up Zope w/ his article at =
xml.com</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>cheers</FONT><FONT size=3D2>,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>alan</FONT><FONT size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <A=20
href=3D"mailto:runyaga@thisbox.com">runyaga@thisbox.com</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>p.s. if I'm out of line, by being so critical, shoot =
me.&nbsp;=20
but these issues were raised by many people over my reign of advocacy at =
work=20
and these are real world gripes - I've encountered.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>p.p.s. are you going to make all/some/most python =
conference=20
zope-based material and lectures available over the internet?&nbsp;=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01BF482B.2EE02BA0--