[Zope] FastCGI and apache setup problems

Thilo Mezger Thilo Mezger <mezger@innominate.de>
20 Dec 1999 07:05:05 GMT

Pavlos Christoforou <pavlos@gaaros.msrc.sunysb.edu> wrote:

> I have not used the named pipe option of FastCGI so I won't be of much
> help. Maybe you can test the TCP option first and see if you can tweek
> that one to work. Apart from the read/write options on /tmp/zope.soc I
> don't expect any other major sources of headaches.

i have played around with the named pipe option a little bit and i felt
that it somehow was less reliable than the tcp option.  i can't give
you any more reasons why it think that this is so because i've had
some non-deterministic behaviour...

hmm, but if you use /tmp/zope.soc make sure to configure mod_fastcgi
like this:

<IfModule mod_fastcgi.c>
    FastCgiIpcDir /tmp
    FastCgiExternalServer /foo/htdocs/Zope -socket zope.soc -pass-header Authorization
    <Location /zope>
        Options ExecCGI
        SetHandler fastcgi-script
    </Location>
</IfModule>

the important line is the one with "FastCgiIpcDir /tmp" because by default
mod_fastcgi uses /tmp/fcgi and you can only put a filename but not a full
pathname after the "-socket" option.

>> Once I get this working how do I stop Zope from being accessable on any port
>> other than my apache port?

use z2.py's -w option:

  -w port

    The Web server (HTTP) port.  This defaults to %(HTTP_PORT)s. The
    standard port for HTTP services is 80.  If this is an empty string
    (e.g. -w ''), then HTTP is disabled.

i'm very interested in your mod_fastcgi experiences.  maybe you could post
a reply how you got your mod_fastcgi working.

imho, mod_fastcgi is one of the best methods to put zope on a server...

regards
thilo

--
mezger@innominate.de