[Zope] PCGI vs FastCGI under Apache?

Art Hampton arth@pacsg.css.mot.com
Tue, 28 Dec 1999 16:00:11 -0600

Fundamentally, my question is "should I try PCGI or FastCGI?", but
first, some background.

I'm planning on running Zope under Apache.  While the site root will map
to Zope, there are legacy applications I want to be able to run, thus
the Apache.  To avoid possible firewall hastles, I essentially want Zope
and Apache operations taking place on the same port (80).

For an authentication mechanism, I want to use LDAP.  So I'm thinking
that I'll be having Apache do the LDAP authentication, and add the
RewriteRule to pass authentication info to Zope.

But how should I run Zope?  I'm not really clear on what works/is
stable.  It sounds like mod_pcgi2 is revision 0.1.0, so I'm nervous
about going with that.  And it sounds like the fastcgi support is
relatively new to Zope, and requires that I fetch a development snapshot
for fastcgi.

Are there other options I haven't figured out yet?
For those of you who have done this, what works for you?

Thanks in advance for any advice.