[Zope] Filling in forms and searching for data

Timothy Grant tjg@avalongroup.net
Tue, 28 Dec 1999 15:35:16 -0800

Hi all,

Just wondering about a couple of issues.

I have a form that contains a bunch of blanks.

If I fill in that form and click "Add" the entry is added to my
PostgreSQL database.

If I have existing data in the form and click "Update" the record in my
DB is updated.

I'm trying to come up with a good Search mechanism. So far this is what
I have:

If I fill out part of the form and click "Search", I get a list of all
matching records returned to me in a nice table.

the first column of the table has a radio button and there is an "I
Choose You..." button at the bottom of the list.

I would like to take the record that the user indicated through use of
the radio button and place it back in my Original form.

I have come up with two possibilities for this and was wondering which
might be the better choice.

Possibility 1:

I can build a series of lists for each column returned by the query,
pass that list back to the originating form, index that list based on
the value of the index of my radio button and fill in the blanks. (It
actually works quite well)

Possibility 2:

I can pass back the radio button index to my form, and re-run the
SQLQuery then select the appropriate row based on the index in fill in
the blanks (I haven't tried this yet)

For some reason I like the first better than the second, though
something tells me I am needlessly sucking RAM to build a bunch of lists
for which I only need one item. It seems that going back to disk for the
second query is equally bad.

Does anyone have a better suggestion?

--
Stand Fast,
    tjg.

Chief Technology Officer              tjg@exceptionalminds.com
Red Hat Certified Engineer            www.exceptionalminds.com
Avalon Technology Group, Inc.                   (503) 246-3630