[Zope] problems building on AIX

Paulo Eduardo Neves neves@inf.puc-rio.br
Thu, 04 Feb 1999 16:41:01 -0300

Roman Milner wrote:

> I tried to build Zope on AIX and gave up pretty quickly.  All of the
> dynamic extensions fail - it looks like for the following reasons.
>
> It tries to use './ld_so_aix' as the linker - this is a script that
> comes with the python source kit but doesn't get installed and
> obviously doesn't exist in dot.
>
> I changed the makefile so it could find ld_so_aix but now it fails
> because in each dir with a dynamic extension it is looking for a file
> called ./python.exp - which is a some file needed to build dynamic
> libs on aix that is generated by running makexp_aix (another script
> shipped with the python source kit) on each .o file (which seems to
> pretty much just run 'nm' on the object files.)
>
> Is there a way I can have the build process make static extension and
> just create a new python - like Zpython or something?

I've compiled Zope in AIX, the process to do it is really a little
dirty. If you don't want to use your own python, I believe you'd be able
to compile it statically just by removing the line "*shared*" from the
Setup files. There are some of them, see:

find . -name "Setup" -exec grep "*shared*" /dev/null {} \;
./lib/python/Setup:*shared*
./lib/python/BoboPOS/Setup:*shared*
./lib/python/DocumentTemplate/Setup:*shared*
./lib/python/Products/MailHost/Setup:*shared*
./lib/python/Products/MailHost/sample/Setup:*shared*
./lib/python/Products/ZMySQLDA/src/Setup:*shared*
./lib/Components/ExtensionClass/Setup:*shared*
./lib/Components/cPickle/Setup:*shared*
./lib/Components/zlib/Setup:*shared*

Here's how I've compiled with my own python:
1)Download, compile, and install your own python from
http://www.python.org
2)Get the source Zope
3)You'll have to copy(link) from the python/Modules dir the files
ld_so_aix, makexp_aix, and python.exp to the dirs:
find . -name "ld_so_aix" -print
./ld_so_aix
./lib/python/BoboPOS/ld_so_aix
./lib/python/DocumentTemplate/ld_so_aix
./lib/python/ld_so_aix
./lib/Components/ExtensionClass/ld_so_aix

Now compile Zope and it should work.

hope this helps,
--
Paulo Eduardo Neves