[Zope] ZPublisher standalone w/Apache and no authentication

Brad Knotwell knotwell@f5.com
Thu, 04 Feb 1999 14:57:25 -0800

Hello all--

I tried sending this before. . .must've got lost somewhere.  Anyhow, I'm
trying to use Apache1.3.4, ZPublisher3.0something and pcgi with a small batch
processing application.  I've done some testing under ZopeHTTPServer and
it seems to work okay.  I'm now trying to integrate Zope in with Apache.  It
works fine if I use the cgi-template example to call my methods, but this
doesn't have any explicit state. . .so it really doesn't do what I want.

The problem:  pcgi tries to start the long running python server and for
some unknown reason fails.  I don't get any useful error messages even with
PCGI_ERROR_FLAG=Y.  I've even wrapped python in a small shell to see if I'm
losing an exception. . .that doesn't appear to be the case. . .it just
exits immediately.  I've verified that pcgi-wrapper is being called with the
correct pcgi_publisher.py and that pcgi_publisher.py imports okay.  As far as
I can tell, python is called, executes the pcgi_publisher.py module and exits
with a 127 status.  I've tried adding logging into pcgi_publisher.py which
doesn't really help. . .for some reason it pretty much ignores any statements
of the sort:

	debug = open('/tmp/huh','w')
	debug.write('some helpful message here\n')

I've basically spent a good portion of time on this.  I liked pcgi and Bobo when I used it before (Aug-Sep timeframe), but I don't remember what I did to
make it work with Apache.  I don't remember it being very hard tho' (that was
under Apache1.3.1 and AIX).  Maybe 1.3.4 and Linux2.0.34 are more troublesome. . .or has the ZPublisher module changed something quite significant (I've
read about authentication. . .I don't have any so I don't think it is an
issue).

Sorry this is so long. . .any help is appreciated.  BTW:  it might perhaps be
useful to have mailing lists based on component instead of help v. devel.  That way people can find problems with the component they're using.  Not to mention it should help give you less to plod through on egroup's site.

Thanks.

--Brad