[Zope] DTML calendar widget

Kent Polk kent@goathill.org
Mon, 8 Feb 1999 14:48:16 -0600 (CST)

> From: Michel Pelletier <michel@digicool.com>
>
> Ty Sarna wrote:
> >         <!--#var standard_html_header-->
> >          <!--#calendar-->
> >           <!--#var "_.string.upper(mode[0])"-->:
> >           <!--#var date fmt=Date-->
> >          <!--#/calendar-->
> >         <!--#var standard_html_footer-->
>
> I'd like to put this in Zone.  Do you have any plans for expansion?

See. That what happens when you get Ty and me together... I complain
a lot and tell Ty what I wish I had, and Ty goes away for a few hours
and comes up with these jewels. :^)  Actually, Ty said he had been
thinking of it already, but he's gonna have to learn not to tell me
that kind of information because I'll begin to question his zenhood.

My suggestions were to provide a mechanism for managing a calendar
'wrapper' which could hold or reference other objects.  I.e. you
could either drop other Zope objects into a date or point at them
somehow. Ty came up with the dtml extension to manage the calendar
but we aren't quite sure how to hook things into it.  Were hoping
to get some suggestions.

Also there's the question of 'look'. How much flexibility is needed
in customizing the 'look' of the calendar? Is it just easier to take
an example and write your own or is it worth it to try to build an
editable folderish calendar product?

What for? Well, I'm tasked with wrapping up the whole population
genetics department into a publishable object where I just hired
on, including all the genetics databases, management statistics
and department scheduler sorts of things. They said they'd understand
if it took me a while. :^)  I'm mainly wandering around looking for
ideas on how to cause trouble right now...  I gave a talk on three
of the projects I've worked on the last year and mgment's (I get to
work with intelligent monkeys at this job :^) eyes lit up and they
got all excited.

So please give Ty some more ideas for this calendar thingy!
How would you use it? what sorts of things would you want it
to contain?

Kent