[Zope] Zope on the Mac

Christopher G. Petrilli petrilli@amber.org
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 13:21:33 -0500

On Thu, Feb 11, 1999 at 11:42:48AM -0500, Jeffrey P Shell wrote:
> > Actually, I've been thinking about how to make Python Carbon-based so it
> > runs on MacOS X (until then it's just not "ready for prime time"), and
> > which time this hsould be a lot easier :-)
>
> I can imagine the announce message now.  "Python is now a carbon based
> lifeform" :)

Something like that... and it would allow Python to move toward more
pervasive threading support---right now I'm not sure that Python
supports threading, as I've never used it (this is on the Mac).  Also,
by being Carbon-based, it allows you to use fully protected memory (not
just guard pages) as well as the full mutli-tasker and VM support.

> Isn't it already semi-OSA-aware?  I've only dabbled lightly with the mac
> modules.  I was just about to write a folder action to launch a Python
> script that uses ZPublisher.Client to publish a folder full of *.dtml files
> (a giant heinous form of death that i'm working on, neatly segmented into
> lots of li'l bitty pieces - too many to put up with cutting'n'pasting from
> Alpha all the time) to a Principia 1.8 beta (in desperate need of an
> upgrade).  I want to make the script launch every time a file is saved and
> i'm pretty sure MacOS 8.5's Folder Actions would do the trick, but it seems
> a bit silly using a scripting language to launch a scripting language.
> Keeping it all in Python would be pretty nice.

I believe it's capable of initiating AppleEvents, but it's not capable
of receiving them, at least that was the last time I looked at it.  To
truly work correctly as an OSA agent, you have to be fully AppleEvent
aware (perhaps Just or Jack can answer THIS question).  It would be nice
to be able to intermingle AppleScript (which is great for certain tasks)
with Python for other tasks (of greater complexity).

> anyways, a Carbon based Zope would be nice.  I imagine the POSIX layer of
> MacOS X Server would be an easier development, but the price tag of OS X
> Server and the fact that it currently comes with free WebObjects makes it a
> much smaller platform than Carbon can target.

I agree, but OSX Server is "closer" to MacOS X than 8.5 is :-) At least
that's my belief :-)  I'm usually wrong, so take this with a grain of
salt.  I've not worked for APple for um... well, let's just say
pre-Newton :-)

> The main issue I see (which may be solved by ZServer...but maybe not,
> MacPython doesn't support threads :( even though threading is available on
> MacOS - in limited form at least) is Web Server support.  If ZServer or
> ZopeHTTPServer is used, it's no problem.  But the Web Servers i've dabbled
> with (Microsofts Personal Web Server, Apples Web Sharing) use much
> different environment/request variables than Unix or even NT.

I believe that Apache on OSX will behave similarly to UNIX/NT, and
certainly if you developed a "plugin" for PCGI, it wouldn't matter much
in the end.  I think this is the long-term dddirection that's most
suitable.  Once you've got an Apache PCGI plug-in, then you can develop
an NSAPI one pretty easily, as well as an IIS one (with slightly less
ease) if you so desired.

Chris