[Zope] "proxy roles", search engine for documentation.

Rob Page rob.page@digicool.com
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 19:23:55 -0500

Hi Anthony:

Here's a Zen 0.2 answer:

>  Can someone give a 1-para description of proxy roles? The
>  ZMG mentions
>  them, but not what they are, or do. My guess is that it's like a Unix
>  setuid program - anyone viewing the document gets the
>  changed permissions,
>  for the purpose of loading other objects into that object...

Your guess is correct.  Often access to some content is contingent on
registering, logging in, viewing a prerequisite page, etc..  A good
example is using proxy roles to restrict access to downloadable files
(e.g., software) to those that have "logged in" or registered on a
the security on the target object (e.g., the .tgz file) through DTML
scripting.

>  On a related note - could a search engine be added to the Zope
>  Documentation area of the site? Please? :)

The whirring (grinding?) sound you may hear is us thinking/working to
address this...

--Rob