[Zope] (Fwd) Zope musings

David Ascher da@ski.org
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 12:03:09 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time)

On Wed, 17 Feb 1999, Paul Everitt wrote:

> Is there are reason these folks can't use Netscape Composer?  It doesn't
> sound like they would ever grok DTML...

As I mentioned later, maybe not -- I tried composer before FTP support was
in Zope.  I'll try again.

> That's true.  If, however, Mozilla sprouted WebDAV capabilities in the
> next three months, is that near enough term?

Uh, I tried Mozilla a week ago, and it's not useable yet.

> Correct.  But I don't think Zope should pursue a direction that excludes
> platforms such as Linux.

Of course not -- but don't limit yourself to Linux either.

> OK, fortunately Zope 1.10 appears to have solid Netscape Composer
> integration.  FrontPage 2000 should be out within, say, four months, and
> (theoretically) we'll get that with WebDAV.

Cool!

> But she would also quit if she had to learn ColdFusion Studio.  You're
> mixing up the discussions -- Alan was asking about that comparison.  I
> imagine he'd quit if he had to manage web sites using FrontPage :^)

Sorry about the mixup -- I don't know CF Studio.

> You don't need ZServer and FTP for it.  Download Zope 1.10pr1 and use
> ZopeHTTPServer.  It *appears* to work well, and works well with
> PCGI/Apache as well.

I'll try it out!  Thanks.

> Right.  And Zope needs to be more productive for both content managers
> and developers.

Exactly.  As usual, we agree. =)

--david