[Zope] (Fwd) Zope musings

ngarcia ngarcia@codeit.com
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 11:25:46 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 18 Feb 1999, Scott Robertson wrote:

> Anybody what to place a bet on wether or not MS will add a few things here
> and there that makes their WebDAV support proprietery to FP and IIS?

As quoted from the WebDAV FAQ page (http://www.webdav.org/other/faq.html):

Q.  But what about Microsoft and what the Halloween document said about
DAV? Something about "decommoditizing protocols"?

A.  As a published standard, people can decide to adhere to it or not. If
Microsoft chooses not to follow the standard, then so be it, but they
cannot simply change it.

     Regardless, I can personally state that Microsoft has been very
willing and cooperative to ensure that their products interoperate with
mod_dav. In fact, they've been quite helpful - I've fixed a number of
bugs that were found with their help.

     Now, with that said: it is possible for a company to state compliance
with the DAV protocol. On top of that protocol, at the application level,
they can do things that are special between their client and server. That
is where application vendors will add value, and it is a standard part of
doing business. If a server provides better application-level support,
then you may end up tied to that particular server if you want that
functionality. You are free to choose your DAV server, but recognize that
you may lose functionality. Your choice, though.