[Zope] Zope release numbers 1.9 to 2.1

Paul Everitt Paul@digicool.com
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 14:46:43 -0500

Philip wrote:
> >> I agree that 1.10 made me blink confusedly a couple of times too.
>
> Yeah, me too!
>
> How about 1.9.1 or 1.9A if you don't want to go a whole
> release higher.
>
> My vote would be for 2.0. Zope would get more attention that
> way too. :)

Let me go ahead and put this to rest.

x.y.z where:

x=major change, perhaps incompatible, just like Python
y=features were added
z=only bug fixes

The 2.0 release of Zope is reserved for some Big Things, namely
concurrency.  We have said this publicly enough times that I'd feel
wrong about going back on it.

I appreciate the sentiment, that the lying bastard commercial software
companies use version numbers as marketing.  However, the software that
we'd like to pattern ourselves after -- say, Linux and Apache -- are
pretty conservative and true in advertising.

Just my $0.02.

--Paul

Paul Everitt       Digital Creations
paul@digicool.com  540.371.6909