[Zope] Apache and Zope

Pavlos Christoforou pavlos@gaaros.msrc.sunysb.edu
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 10:14:07 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 19 Feb 1999, Philip Aylesworth wrote:

> Why would I use Apache with Zope when it has its own HTTP server and seems
> to run okay (even right along side Apache)?

The strongest argument in favor of apache I have read on this list was the
use of secure layers and such, which apache already supports. Personally I
have been using medusa (ZServer) for a long time and it is rock stable and
I believe quite faster that apache (I might be wrong here. It can be MUCH
faster that apache)

> Can I check the existance of external files from within Zope? I have a data
> base of CAD files. If they exist on a server I create a link to them, if
> they don't I just list them.

It should not be too difficult with an external method.

> How can I transfer my Zope stuff (Object database is it?) to another
> machine once I decide to impliment it on a real server? I guess I mean what
> files do I need and is there anything that will cause me grief? (I read the
> postings about the person who wants to copy one website to many servers. It
> looks like a non-trivial problem.)

The difficulty in this situatiation is not the tranfer of content from one
server to another (which in Zope IS trivial) but actually automating the
process of synchronizing all the object databases over many servers. This
problem is not particular to Zope. I think it falls outside Zope's
domain. If it was I can assure you Jim would have come up with a solution.

Anyway all you need to do is copy the object database from one server
to the other. This is what I do and it works fine. Of course if you
install some new products or external methods on one server make sure you
install them on the other too. Actually everything could be stored in the
object database but I think the digigyus in their wisdom chose not to, for
security reasons.

Pavlos