[Zope] Tree snapshot?

Pavlos Christoforou pavlos@gaaros.msrc.sunysb.edu
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 08:13:17 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 22 Feb 1999 julian@zereau.net wrote:

> How would it be possible to create a transportable snapshot of a subset of the
> Zope pseudo-filesystem tree?
>
> My plan is: I grab a bundled snapshot of, say, http://box1/devel/catalog
> and install it under http://box2/live/catalog.
>
> Is this possible? And, is there any existing way to do this, or will I have to
> code it?

I believe the new version of Zope will have a nice (ie part of the
management functionality) way to do this.
For now just visit the folder you are interested in creating a snapshot
and add to the URL manage_exportHack. ie

http://box1/devel/catalog/manage_exportHack

this will create a file in Zope's var directory named export.bbe
containing the snapshot.
To import it somewhere in a Zope folder just visit that folder and add to
the URL manage_importHack
ie
http://box1/live/catalog/manage_importHack

Are you trying to create and use this snapshot on the same Zope
installation? In anyway you can move the export.bbe file from one machine
to the other and use the same method. If you need to transfer the snapshot
from one place of the Zope virtual filesystem to another which is also
part of the same Zope instance then there are better methods to do it.
(Just copy and paste for example, or taking a hint from the URL's you used
you might want to use Sessions)

Pavlos