[Zope] Preserving Settings during a user's session

Christopher G. Petrilli petrilli@amber.org
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 11:53:12 -0500

On Wed, Feb 24, 1999 at 10:39:57AM -0600, Jeff Bauer wrote:
> Mike Pelletier wrote:
> > Not to mention many offices, etc, NAT through a
> > single IP.  Isn't there a way to tickle Apache and
> > get it to provide a session ID?
>
> How about from a single long-running process on a well
> known URL?  Sessions could then be scaled beyond a
> single server.

This was my point with the concept of a SessionServer, which would be
something seperate from Zope's main database.  It would reside on a
central server, and allow for multiple servers to resolve IDs into
"Session" objects.  These objects could even maintain state for some
period of time after their last access (i.e. someone could be shopping,
leave and come back in some manner)... you could also retreive them
based on some other information, perhaps... a userid, or something.

Honestly, though, I'm not sure HTTP is the best protocol for this, but
what do I know... I'd use XML-RPC over HTTP if I did that, otherwise I'd
use something else like CORBA.

Chris