[Zope] Preserving Settings during a user's session

Christopher G. Petrilli petrilli@amber.org
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 12:26:40 -0500

On Wed, Feb 24, 1999 at 12:25:57PM -0500, Mike Pelletier wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Feb 1999, Christopher G. Petrilli wrote:
>
> > So why wouldn't XML-RPC work across HTTP?  This was my option, not
> > across some other protcol.  Heck, ILU work across HTTP and I've heard of
> > people making it work thru firewalls.  XML-RPC though on thought does
> > seem like a good option, since it's standards based, and relatively
> > light-weight.
>
>     Excuse me, for I am ignorant in the ways of XML.  How would this be
> implemented on the client's end?

My handwaving continues :-)

No no my comment was directed to the server->session-server
communications... the client will still only talk pure unadultered
mother's milk-quality HTTP :-)

Here's a better explanation, I hope...

1. User connects to a server for the first time, requesting a URL:

	http://www.megacorp.com/support/

2. The Zope system realises that the REQUEST object doesn't have a
SessionID attribute, and creates one (a SessionID) and sends a redirect
to load:

	http://www.megacorp.com/42/support/

where 42 is the SessionID.

3. From then on the SessionID is stripped out of hte URL path, placed in
the REQUEST object, and the rest of the path traversed, with the
sessionID available to all objects thru the REQUEST object.

Make more sense?

Chris