[Zope] DISCUSS: Import from the web

Michael Bernstein mbernstein@profitscape.net
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 12:10:38 -0800

Paul Everitt wrote:

> "Can we make import-from-the-network have as acceptible a level of trust
> as the filesystem?"
>
> Here are some brainstorm ideas:
>
> 1) Make the import a pull rather than a push.  Instead of pushing the
> data from your computer into a remote Zope, you go to the remote Zope
> and put in the URL to your local Zope.

This would work well, I believe, except when the 'pulled from' system is
behind a firewall. Perhaps some sort of 'trusted third party' arangement
would work for these situations.

> 2) Turn import from the web off by default but have a knob to turn it
> on.

Add another knob as to whether the system allows itself to be pulled
from(and who by). Ensure this doesn't become an avenue for
denial-of-service attacks on the pulled from system.

> 3) Reading directly from a Zope as it outputs an export means you're
> less likely to get a hacked pickle.
>
> 4) Have a shared key system, then rotor the export file (this is what we
> do on the unreleased Zope Network Client software).  That is, wrap the
> data in an envelope.
>
> Of course there is still the ultimate question: is this a compelling
> feature?

Absolutely. Anything that you can do to increase Zope's 'Network Effect'
is a Good Thing(tm).

While increasing the functionality of individual Zope installations is
obviously nothing to sneer at, any feature (like this one) that adds
value to the network as a function of the network size is going to be a
killer app.

<OT>
As a minor example, how about a product that creates the sort of file
that slashdot.py consumes? For that matter, how about a version of
slashdot.py that is more generalized? Both of these examples are much
more limited than 'Remote Import' or the 'Network Client', yet still
have a significant ability to promote and popularize Zope.

I realize that I am talking through my hat here, as I am not capable of
creating either of these products on my own.
</OT>

Michael Bernstein.