[Zope] - ZODB XML import/export

Jim Fulton jim.fulton@digicool.com
Mon, 04 Jan 1999 17:17:45 -0500

Jeff Bauer wrote:

> Andrew's discussion about multiple databases got me
> thinking again about XML import/export capability for
> the Zope database.  I think an object database for
> Python has broader implications for Python programmers
> that extend beyond using it with Zope.  And having an
> ability to analyze a database independent of the application,
> independent of transactions, etc., makes XML import/export
> a compelling feature.
>
> A few questions/conjectures.
>
> - Is there any kind of baseline DTD that will be designed
>   for simple pickles?

I think that there are a number of XML pickling formats
around.  I don't know if any of them are powerful
enough to provide the generality of Python pickles.

There's been a lot of discussion of this on the XML-SIG
list recently, but I haven't had the bandwidth to follow it.

Andrew, wanna make any observations here?

I'd really like to see a converter from python pickles to
some XML "pickle" format and the other way around.
If someone provided such a beast, it would be straightforward
to implement an XML export/import tool.

>   If so, will the Zope Object Database
>   DTD be an extension of the same?

I doubt it, if only for performance reasons.  In normal
operations, the database needs to be able to pickle and
unpickler objects *very* quickly.  I seriously doubt that
any XML-based tool will ever come within an order of
magnitude in speed of cPickle.

> - Not knowing anything about the ZODB release schedule, I
>   think that simply having a release that supports XML export
>   capability alone would be worth having (nudge, nudge) if
>   XML import requires more time to implement.

A converter from pickle format to XML would move things
along nicely. (nudge nudge)

> - Is a staged build of a Zope system

What's a "staged build"?

>   using XML import
>   capability a likely scenario?  By this I don't mean
>   is it *possible*, I'm asking if it will probably
>   someday be considered a routine way to accomplish
>   this kind of task.

There is now a facility for loading product state from
export files as part of product installation.
Is this the sort of thing you are talking about?

> - Are we likely to see the Zope Object Database used
>   independently of Zope, i.e. where an object database
>   may be desired (pickles + concurrent transactions) ?

I hope so.

>   I'm not aware of anyone who used BoboPOS in this manner.
>
> - What's the preferred acronym for the Zope Object
>   Database?  ZODB?

Hm. Good question.  I guess I'd be inclined to say yes.
I guess the current version is ZODB 2 and the next version
(the thing FKA BoboPOS3) is ZODB 3.  Paul may correct me on this.

Jim

Technical Director   (888) 344-4332              Python Powered!

repeats.