[Zope] - Structured-text

Michel Pelletier mike@icebox.dlogue.net
Mon, 04 Jan 1999 22:40:49 -0700

Wiebe Kunst wrote:

> I've just started with Zope and have not programmed anything in Python
> (yet). I'm just exploring/learning DTML but am a bit frustrated by the lack
> of good tutorial (for dummy's like me). In one of the postings to this
> maillinglist I saw mentioned the use of the following tag   <!--#var body
> fmt="structured-text"-->, and looked in the source code for
> StructuredText.py. I think I understand how to format plain text as
> structured text, but don't understand how to insert it in a document. Is the
> only possibility the use of forms ?
> Can somebody please give me an example.
>
> Wiebe Kunst

Wiebe,

    The attribute referenced in the #var tag should be a string.  I'm not sure
if this is what your asking, but a good example can be seen in
lib/python/App/readme.dtml and lib/python/Product/App/Product.py.  In the dtml
file, you'll find this usage:

<!--#var manage_get_product_readme__ fmt=structured-text-->

and the Python code that returns the string in Product.py:

   def manage_get_product_readme__(self):
        try:
            return open(os.path.join(
                SOFTWARE_HOME, 'Products', self.id,'README.txt'
                )).read()
        except: return ''

Which just reads README.txt out of the Product dir and returns it as a string.
I think what you might be looking for is a Document object you add to the
management interface, that is formats its contents as structured-text.   Paul
recently posted a good example to the list:

http://www.egroups.com/list/zope/922.html

-Michel