[Zope] - Using ZPublisher (Bobo) alone

skip@calendar.com (Skip Montanaro) skip@calendar.com (Skip Montanaro)
Wed, 6 Jan 1999 09:58:27 -0500 (EST)

    Chris> I would like to use ZPublisher alone (having had some success
    Chris> with Bobo) under linux.

    Chris> I can't find installation instructions for ZPublisher. I've got
    Chris> the whole Zope thing up and running from the source, but I'm not
    Chris> sure what to do if I just want to do Bobo things....

    Chris> Could some kind soul point me at the FM?

Not sure there is one.  Here's what I've been doing.

1. Run ZopeHTTPServer from the Zope-1.9.0-src directory using the Python
   script

    import ZopeHTTPServer, sys, os
    try:
	open('srv.pid', 'w').write('%d'%os.getpid())
	ZopeHTTPServer.main(("-h 127.0.0.2",
			     "-p 8043",
			     "/usr/local/lib/automatrix/python/z.py",
			     "BOBO_DEBUG_MODE=1",
			     "SCRIPT_NAME=",
			     "SERVER_NAME=concerts.calendar.com",
			     "SERVER_PORT=8080"))
    except KeyboardInterrupt:
	sys.exit(255)

This works okay except the except clause doesn't ever catch keyboard
interrupts.  I eventually gave up and now use "kill `cat srv.pid`" to zap
the server.  z.py is the module that's published.  A watcher shell script
then restarts it.  I had to create an unwritable file named "core" to
prevent the core dumps that the inevitably occur if the server has processed
any requests.

2. I built a run Apache (1.3.3) with both mod_proxy and mod_rewrite enabled.
   I then use a number of rewrite rules to smash a couple related CGI
   scripts into a single URI called /search.  That is then proxied to the Z
   Publisher using

    RewriteRule ^/search$ http://127.0.0.2:8043/search [P]

   "search" is a published function in z.py.

Thanks to Andreas Kostyrka and Amos Latteier for developing the plumbing in
ZopeHTTPServer necessary to do this.

Any ideas about the core dumps?  I will admit that for the time being I have
been more concerned with getting things going than investigating the problem
so I have even tried to debug it.  One thing I did notice is that it doesn't
seem to drop a core file if the server hasn't handled any requests.

Skip Montanaro	   | Mojam: "Uniting the World of Music" http://www.mojam.com/
skip@calendar.com  | Musi-Cal: http://concerts.calendar.com/
518-372-5583