[Zope] - MySQL and Dynamic Queries

Shaw, Howard ShawH@STHS.org
Fri, 15 Jan 1999 13:19:15 -0600

Before Zope sprang onto the scene, I implemented a relational database
in MySQL, and developed a PHP3 frontend based on the PHPMySQLAdmin code.
This front end permits the end-user to dynamically alter the SQL query
without needing any particular comprehension of it. I would like to
retain this functionality, but don't quite see how to do so within the
framework of DTML accessing Z SQL methods. In particular, Z SQL methods
do not appear to expose to the DTML a list of the fields present in the
query, so even if I used DTML within the Z SQL query to vary the fields
requested, I have no way in the interface document, of determining what
fields are in the returned value.

Ok, while typing this missive I received a response to another question
explaining how to accomplish this. Now; can anyone tell me how best to
accomplish an arbitrary query (i.e. absolutely nothing predefined) while
still adhering to the overall design of DTML accessing Z SQL methods.
Can I use DTML to rewrite the contents of a Z SQL Query?

Howard C. Shaw III