[Zope] - Slashdot on Zope

Kevin Dangoor kid@ans.net
Mon, 18 Jan 1999 10:07:57 -0500

On Sat, Jan 16, 1999 at 01:31:03AM -0800, Gabe Wachob wrote:
,-----
| I wanted to ask the list what people's thoughts were on the
| appropriateness of implementing a Slashdot-like site in Zope.

This is the application that I have been looking at Zope for. I am thinking
of something that is a cross between Slashdot and c|net. (Or you can
think of it as Slashdot with a category hierarchy.)

| I have looked at the Slashdot source code (in perl) and its pretty messy
| (to put it mildy). I hacked at it to get it to work with the free Sybase
| server  on linux and it works reasonably well, but I haven't gone much
| beyond that.

I didn't even put in the effort to get the Slashdot code running after
taking a look at it.

| Finally, does the concept of a slashdot-like Product (or set of
| products) interest anyone?

Yes! I'd be interested in using/contributing to this. After seeing someone
else's message, I took a look at HTML::Mason for perl, and that just does
not have the same power that Zope does.

|     -Gabe

`-----

Kevin