[Zope] - Other access control paradigms?

Jim Fulton jim.fulton@digicool.com
Mon, 18 Jan 1999 17:46:18 -0500

BScherer@mobile.bam.com wrote:

> Having discussed this with Paul a long time ago in the Principia days, I believe this to be possible, but am unsure of where to start.
>
> The idea is this:
>
> I would like to maintain my user information (uid, passwd, and access info) in an rdbms table.  This would
> enable us to leverage a database that already exits for this purpose.  I have several bobo apps I would
> like to move into Zope, but I would need to overide (or integrate) Zope's internal security with mine.
> Reason being is that we don't want to move several thousand user's into Zope's user db, and we don't
> want to train the staff on a new interface/paradigm.
>
> I could change the backend of my security scheme without too much trouble.  I don't want to have to change the frontend.
>
> Could this be as simple as an External Method? Or do I have to hit the Product API, or replace the entire AccessControl package?

If I understand you, all you need is a user folder that get's it's user
data from a relational database. You don't need to change Zope's
security model. Right?

We built a product for Principia that does this.  It hasn't been
tested with Zope yet.  If you want, we can send it to you and
you can test/debug it.  Otherwise, we'll try to get it tested/
debugged ourselves and make it available in a week or two.

Jim

Technical Director   (888) 344-4332              Python Powered!

repeats.