[Zope] - Help with Zope . . .

Paul Everitt Paul@digicool.com
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 09:40:44 -0500

David wrote:
> I'm looking for some detailed help, being new to both Zope
> adn Python, and I'm hoping
> someone here can take the time.

(Note: David, mail delivery attempts fail to you with a PMDF error
message)

In addition to getting general tips and guidance from the list, another
option is to get consulting from us or others.  Lately we have been
offering some limited free consulting in exchange for case studies and
testimonials from companies, if that is of interest to you.  We hear
repeatedly from people evaluating Zope that ask: "Who is using it?"
Answering this question is a priority for us.

> I would like to use Zope to help build a procedures database
> system for our
> company (about 8k employees). The starting project is a much
> scaled down
> goal of providing for a procedures database for the dozen or
> so IS people.
>
> I have a mysql database, and a Zope page that will allow me
> to insert data into
> the page.  What I need to figure out how to do is:
>
> a) login the user to the system and GET that information for
> the DHTTP script.

DHTTP?

> b) create a new UNIQUE folder for the created procedure
> username+DateTime.timeTime pehaps

This is the concept of "DTML scripting".  For a related example:

  http://www.zope.org/Documentation/HowTo/SampleGadfly

> c) provide a way to upload the procedure (an HTML page &
> associated images adn/or files) to the new directory FROM THE
> PAGE that gets the information about the procedure for the database.

1) Create a Document that has an ACTION pointing to another Document and
the right MIME type (multipart).

2) Create an HTML form that has a INPUT field of type file, e.g.:

  <input name="procedures:file" type="file">

3) In the second document, do something like:

  <!--#call "manage_addFile('new_procedure',procedures)"-->

Don't forget the Object Reference:

  http://www.zope.org/HelpSys/ObjectRef/hs_main (also in Zope as the
Help tab)

> If I could figure out 'a' from the documentation (which I've
> yet to do correctly it seems), I
> could figure out b . . .  since the O'Rielly python text has
> some very clear examples in it.
>
> I am clueless as to how to do 'c.' I figured out how to use
> the netscape "Publish" feature to
> 'PUT' a page once you know the URL, but I would like it to be
> more 'automagical' than that. I
> would like the user to just be able to give the local path
> (on their machine) to the base page, and have it and all the
> associated files moved over.

Ahh, all the associated files.  Yes, that's Netscape Publishing.
There's a bug in the current support for it for which a change has been
checked in for Zope 1.10.

--Paul

Paul Everitt       Digital Creations
paul@digicool.com  540.371.6909