[Zope] - OO paradigm

Michael Bernstein mbernstein@profitscape.net
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 16:51:26 -0800

Dave G wrote:

> At 2:05 PM -0800 1/21/99, Michael Bernstein wrote:
> >Yes, this was what I meant. Each individual 'pseudo hierarchy' object is
> >still a strict hierarchy, but because they intersect, the actual content
> >structure of the site as a whole is a multidimensional lattice.
> >
> <snip>
> >Any comments?
> >
> >Michael Bernstein.
>  Comments?  Thank you Thank you Thank you.  I have been struggeling with a
> metaphor for exactly that.  You have put it into words for me, "Lattice" is
> an excellent name. I agree with you completely that this would be a great
> addition to Zope!

Let me just clarify, I am not proposing a major change to the zope interface. the
current 'tree' structure of a site is just too useful. I am suggesting however,
that in order to accomplish multiple inheritance, alternative path navigation, and
other 'Good Things', that we have the ability to add 'branch' type folderish
objects that can contain other 'branches' or 'leaves'. Other objects lower in the
main heirarchy can be assigned to a 'leaf' in each additional 'branch' above them.

This in essence, would let us:
1) factor content and functionality that we currently cannot (or at least, not as
easily). ('is a' inheritance)
2) provide alternative navigation to the same content ('in a' inheritance)
 2a) path dependent navigation and content rendering (by giving precedence to the
path taken, where properties or methods conflict)
 2b) explicit and simple path analysis from server logs

I think I'm repeating myself.
Add to the list if you can think of other applications.

As with any powerful tool, there is potential for abuse, and someone could easily
construct a site that was incredibly convoluted and unmaintainable, if they
weren't careful.

to help avoid that, you would probably want to disallow assigning a leaf in one
tree to a leaf in another tree for example. Or maybe not.

What do you all think?

Michael