[Zope] - OO paradigm

Dave G DAve@mail.netraven.com
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 17:25:29 -0800

At 4:51 PM -0800 1/21/99, Michael Bernstein wrote:
>Dave G wrote:
>
>>  Comments?  Thank you Thank you Thank you.  I have been struggeling with a
>> metaphor for exactly that.  You have put it into words for me, "Lattice" is
>> an excellent name. I agree with you completely that this would be a great
>> addition to Zope!
>
>Let me just clarify, I am not proposing a major change to the zope
>interface. the
>current 'tree' structure of a site is just too useful. I am suggesting
>however,
>that in order to accomplish multiple inheritance, alternative path
>navigation, and
>other 'Good Things', that we have the ability to add 'branch' type folderish
>objects that can contain other 'branches' or 'leaves'. Other objects lower
>in the
>main heirarchy can be assigned to a 'leaf' in each additional 'branch'
>above them.
>
>This in essence, would let us:
>1) factor content and functionality that we currently cannot (or at least,
>not as
>easily). ('is a' inheritance)
>2) provide alternative navigation to the same content ('in a' inheritance)
> 2a) path dependent navigation and content rendering (by giving precedence
>to the
>path taken, where properties or methods conflict)
> 2b) explicit and simple path analysis from server logs
>
>I think I'm repeating myself.
>Add to the list if you can think of other applications.
>
>As with any powerful tool, there is potential for abuse, and someone could
>easily
>construct a site that was incredibly convoluted and unmaintainable, if they
>weren't careful.
>
>to help avoid that, you would probably want to disallow assigning a leaf
>in one
>tree to a leaf in another tree for example. Or maybe not.
>
>What do you all think?
>
>Michael

Correct, I don't see a need to change Zope's structure, but some tools to
use it's features in a non linear manner would be nice.

3) dynamic creation or shaping of properties based on navigation paths.
4) alternative rendering of content based on instance
	4a) 'if  in a' else  'in b'

Does that make sense?

DAve.

"On the Plains of Hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at
the Dawn of Victory, sat down to wait, and waiting -- died"