[Zope] - Website recommendation

Paul Everitt Paul@digicool.com
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 19:18:48 -0500

Bruce wrote:
> Rob is aware of Zope, I think, and has mentioned it in passing on
> slashdot.
>
> I have a mailing list called the "Open Source Wire Service". It's a
> list of about 500 people in the press who have told me they are
> interested in hearing about Open Source, and is intended as an
> alternative to the business wire. When you are ready to make a big
> announcement, I can put it on that.

To tell the truth, I'm kind of glad it hasn't gotten out on Slashdot
yet.  With Michel on board last week and Ken on board next week, I think
we are getting close to being able to getting caught up and/or ahead.
Also, moving the zope.org site to a big fat pipe this upcoming week is
reassuring.

As Bruce told us yesterday, we currently are doing a poor job of getting
our story across, from "What is this and why do I want it?" to "Who's
using it?" to "Where are the docs?" to "Show me some samples."  I'm
eager for us to start working hard on Monday to helping organize the
site and the community in a powerful way.

Even though I'm obviously very much down in the trenches, the
awesomeness of Zope still catches me off guard every now and then, like
today when I ftp'd into Amos' test Zope/Medusa server then logged in via
Netscape/HTTP.  It's my fault that the story isn't portrayed well, and
I've simply got to do better.  Of course suggestions are welcome (e.g.
what is a good site that conveys gestalt well).

Additionally, Bruce is working through some issues on the story with us,
which I hope to have completed in the next few days.  Thus, I'd like to
think of next week as a good time to start the drumbeat.

As far as online news sources, I'm pretty comfortable with Liz and Jon
at Linux Weekly News and want to work with them on using Zope to
dynamically manage content.

--Paul