[Zope] - ZServer and RedHat

Amos Latteier amos@aracnet.com
Tue, 26 Jan 1999 11:06:02 -0800

At 10:37 AM 1/26/99 -0800, David Brown wrote:
>On Tue, Jan 26, 1999 at 12:38:20PM -0500, Michel Pelletier wrote:
>> The solution is either to recompile my new Python (again) with the
different
>> cPickle format enabled, or to delete my database files and let Zope make
new
>> ones, using the new format.  I chose the latter.  Moving 'var/Data.bbb*'
into
>> an old directory, firing up ZServer/start, and it worked!
>
>Is that all there is to it?  I did everything you detailed (since I'm
>running a fairly vanilla redhat 5.2 install), and then mv'd Data.bbb*
>to another directory.  Now I can't seem to load ANY pages (404's all
>around).

Wait a minute. Michel was describing how to switch from Zope's Python to
Redhat's Python. Part of his solution was to abandon his old object
database. 'Data.bbb' is the object database file. Moving it out of the var
directory means Zope can't see it, and will create a new empty object
database.

If you remove your object database, you remove all your Zope objects. Hence
the 404's you are seeing.

If you, like Michel, are trying to run ZServer, but are having trouble with
start.py and Zope's Python, I would suggest wrapping start.py in a shell
script that sets the PYTHONHOME to your Zope directory, and then runs
ZServer/start.py.

#! /bin/sh
PYTHONHOME=/home/amos/Zope
export PYTHONHOME
cd /home/amos/Zope
bin/python ZServer/start.py

(This is untested, but it should give you the idea.)

Or are you after something else?

-Amos