[Zope] - ZServer and RedHat

David Brown davidbro@home.com
Tue, 26 Jan 1999 11:11:16 -0800

On Tue, Jan 26, 1999 at 11:06:02AM -0800, Amos Latteier wrote:
> Wait a minute. Michel was describing how to switch from Zope's Python to
> Redhat's Python. Part of his solution was to abandon his old object
> database. 'Data.bbb' is the object database file. Moving it out of the var
> directory means Zope can't see it, and will create a new empty object
> database.

That's what I wanted to do.  I want to use my installed Python.

And, to avoid the binary pickle problem, I moved my Data.bbb*'s
somewhere where Zope cannot see them, just as you said.

And now, when I run ZServer, everything starts up fine.

When I ftp to ZServer, I can see all the normal files (standard_html_header,
standard_html_footer, yadayada), with the exception of index_html.

But even when I put an index_html in there with FTP, it still doesn't
want to serve it.

> If you remove your object database, you remove all your Zope objects. Hence
> the 404's you are seeing.

I understand.  I was just hoping that ZServer would rebuild the
database with more useful defaults (like an index_html that says
something like "the reason there is nothing here is because I had to
rebuild the database").

> If you, like Michel, are trying to run ZServer, but are having trouble with
> start.py and Zope's Python, I would suggest wrapping start.py in a shell
> script that sets the PYTHONHOME to your Zope directory, and then runs
> ZServer/start.py.
>
> #! /bin/sh
> PYTHONHOME=/home/amos/Zope
> export PYTHONHOME
> cd /home/amos/Zope
> bin/python ZServer/start.py
>
> (This is untested, but it should give you the idea.)

I'll give this a try.

> Or are you after something else?

I'm always after something else.

dave