[Zope] - Re: Name clashes (PIL vs Zope)...

Fredrik Lundh fredrik@pythonware.com
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 09:45:40 +0100

>I'm writing a new Product which uses the Python Imaging Library to
>dynamically generate GIFs. I'm dying to see if it can be done by using
>StringIO's to store the image data so that no actual files will need to be
>written, but I've come across a snag... PIL and Zope both make use of the
>module names 'Image.py' and 'ImageFile.py'. I guess great minds do indeed
>think alike ;)
>
>My first instinct was to use sed to churn through the whole of PIL renaming
>all references to Image and ImageFile to pilImage and pilImageFile
>respectively.

then you're on your own...

PIL is used in hundreds of products, is featured in an upcoming book,
and was out there long before Zope (and long before there was some-
thing called packages).  No way the interface gonna change as long
the version number is <= 2.0.

why not fix Zope instead?  (if you teach Zope to actually use PIL, it'll
recognize dozens of image file formats -- see htmlgen for an example
on how to do that).

    /F