[Zope] - Name clashes (PIL vs Zope)...

Jeff Bauer jbauer@rubic.com
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 06:04:18 -0600

> written, but I've come across a snag... PIL and Zope both make use
> of the module names 'Image.py' and 'ImageFile.py'. I guess great
> minds do indeed think alike ;)

PythonWare has precedence of naming, not least because PIL
was available prior to Python packages.

> My first instinct was to use sed to churn through the whole of PIL
> renaming all references to Image and ImageFile to pilImage and
> pilImageFile respectively.

Ugh.  There are certaintly better ways to do this.  How about
either having Zope permanently rename these to ZImage, ZImageFile
or explicitly using the package-ized versions of these names
throughout Zope?  For OFS.Image, this should not be a problem,
'ImageFile' might have to be moved further down the hierarchy.

  ./lib/python/ImageFile.py
  ./lib/python/OFS/Image.py

My preference would be to see Image, ImageFile renamed to remove
all confusion, if it can be done without breaking existing applications.
PIL is likely to be used a lot with Zope and renaming (rather than
refactoring) is likely to cause fewer problems for people who use
both products.

Regards,

Jeff Bauer
Rubicon, Inc.