[Zope] - Re: [XML-SIG] RE: [Zope] - XML-style DTML code

Christopher G. Petrilli petrilli@amber.org
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 10:26:52 -0500

On Fri, Jan 29, 1999 at 10:07:40AM -0500, Fred L. Drake wrote:

> Paul Everitt writes:
>  >  <font size="<!--#var font_size-->">
>  >
>  >which is legal, would become:
>
>   This is legal:  The "<!--#var font_size-->" is the CDATA value of
> the size attribute, not a comment.

Right this is the current scheme (note that this is one use of the DTML
command set that is embedded in an HTML tag, a lot aren't).  And this is
also how I read the sstandard.

>  >  <font size="<?ztml #var arg ?>">
>  >
>  >which *not* valid XML...is it?  That is, can you have markup inside
>
>   The "<?ztml #var arg ?>" is a perfectly valid string value of the
> size attribute, just as before.

Wouldn't the DTD restrict the use of < inside?  I thoguht the spec
required that except inside a couple things ... like PIs... that the <
and & characters must be escaped?

>  >   <font size="&arg;">
>
>   In neither SGML nor XML can markup be nested like this.  The use of
> entities is the proper way to do this in either case.  Perhaps a
> processing tool needs to be available which can perform "entity
> expansion" for specified entity names only?

I'm confused by what you mean here, being a newbie to XMLish things.

Chris