[Zope] - XML-style DTML code

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 14:14:04 -0600

I didn't mean to step on your toes nor say anything for or against any
proposal that you may have made regarding this issue. I've seen only half
of this conversation and out-of-order. If the question is "how do I make
DTML XML compliant" my answer is "use XSL-style templates." By the way you
disparge XML in your message, I presume that XML compliance is *not* your
current problem, but that leaves me rather confused about the subject
line.

 Confusedly,

 Paul Prescod

"Christopher G. Petrilli" wrote:

> I personally cannot forsee what "people" will want to do in 3 months,
> nor can anyone else.  Today, XML is the trendy answer to every question
> asked regardless of its merit or robustness.  I don't disagree that
> there will be people who want to do this, and I don't argue that such a
> system shouldn't be supported.  But I do argue that for most everything
> people do today, wit hteh tools they have TODAY, that the current syntax
> is perfectly acceptable... Maybe we need to work seperately on an
> XML/XSL side, but that doesn't invalidate the current syntax, any more
> than the fact that you can't do proper lexical closures with Python
> invalidates its use today.
>
> My goal was to provide an obviously incomplete fix to the current
> problem of editing in HTML editors, which is what sparked this.  The fix
> I proposed fixes that.  Once I have a proper XML editor with full XSL
> support, it'll be easier to hypothesise about solutions, but until then,
> it's all hand waving.
>
> Chris
> --
> | Christopher Petrilli
> | petrilli@amber.org

 http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

Don't you know that the smart bombs are so clever, they only kill
bad people."
	- http://www.boingo.com/lyrics/WarAgain.html