[Zope] Documentation Announcement

Tres Seaver tseaver@palladion.com
Thu, 01 Jul 1999 00:05:49 -0500

Alex Rice <alrice@swcp.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Jun 1999 12:16:41 -0400,
> Pam Crosby <pam@digicool.com> said:
>
> Pam> Please feel free to submit suggestions for documentation efforts,
> Pam> they should be posted to Collector.  Thanks and hello!
>
> Welcome aboard! I don't think this is specific enough to report to
> Collector, so I'll just generalize here.
>
> When I was learning Zope (and still am) I found the documentation was
> actually quite good. Many thanks to Amos, ZDP folks, whoever else has
> been writing this stuff.
>
> What kind of bogged me down was the sheer number of tiny documents. I
> have the DTML Users Guide spiral bound, and about a dozen stapled faqs,
> articles, emails, etc all stuffed inside the cover of that. When I'm
> trying to remember something it makes it really hard to know where to
> look for that one code snippet. It would probably be helpful for folks
> to have a hefty Zope "book" with a unified index that is downloadable in
> postscript or pdf format, as well as html.
>
> Or better yet, each installation Zope could use xml-rpc to automagically
> download the latest revisions of the html format docs from the nearest
> Zope docs mirror. :-)

I like it!  Rev up the ZBook stuff and distribute all these documents as one of
the "main" sample content pieces ("Look, Ma!  The cobbler's children finally
have shoes!").  Add a "one-click mirror" page to resynch the docset via a
user-selectable protocol (XML-RPC download, DAV, whatever).

R00ling stuff!

Tres.

Tres Seaver            tseaver@palladion.com      http://www.palladion.com
Palladion Software     Houston, Texas, USA        713-523-6582