[Zope] Cutting, copying and pasting products

Paul Boddie paulb@infercor.no
Fri, 02 Jul 1999 19:47:10 +0200

Jeffrey Shell wrote:

> > It is possible to move folder objects around, but products
> > can supposedly only
> > be cut, copied and pasted in the products directory. Could
> > anyone give a
> > rationale for this?

Well, after being clear earlier in my mail I seem to have missed making my
point. ;-) What I meant to ask was: could anyone give a rationale for why it
isn't possible to move product "instances" around?

> The Products Folder is a special object for, naturally, Products -- both
> disk-based (ala the primary built in Zope products, as well as any
> others) and Zope-based (Products that are instantiated using Factories).
> Remember that Zope Folders are not directories, but are actual objects,
> and some objects may act folder-ish but be very specialized and may only
> allow certain types of objects.  (Similar to the Control Panel in
> Windows 9x, and /dev type directories on Unix).  The Products Folder is
> one of these types of Objects.
>
> I believe the rationale was as a centralized product management area
> (letting you see what Products where installed with the system), and as
> a development area for through-the-web products.

Understood. Given the recent ZClasses developments, is there an overview of how
ZClasses differ from products and when the two technologies should be applied?
Can ZClass instances be moved, by the way?

Regards,

Paul